Often Asked Questions (Frequently Asked Question) # 1– Fbar Filing Requirements

by Admin
Categories: Finance Resources
Comments: Comments Off

New Foreign bank account rules were developed to combat money laundering, terrorism, and tax evasion. Unfortunately, folks like you and me get snared in the processwhile doing so. We get punished if we do not follow the new rules.

I have written a series of streamlined posts on this subject to helpto aid you comprehend the brand-new guidelines and safeguard yourself from severe penalties if you fail to report foreign possessions.

Q. Am I needed to report checking account in an international country?

A. Yes, if you have more than $10,000 at any time outside the United States

Q. Am I exempted from reporting if my accounts are in Euros, Chinese Yuan, Philippines pesos, or Mexican pesos?

A. No, you are not exempt from reporting international accounts simply because they are not in US dollars. Convert worldwide denominations to United States dollars and report FBAR if the quantity is more than $10,000.

Q. What is FBAR?

A. FBAR is a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts on FinCen Kind 114 (was Type TD F 90-22.1).

Q. Who must submit an FBAR?

A. Any United States individual who has a financial interest in or trademark authority over any monetary account in a foreign country, if the aggregate value goes beyond $10,000 at any time during the fiscal year.

Q. Who is a United States individual?

A. “United States person” consists of a citizen or citizen of the United States, a domestic partnership, a domestic corporation, or a domestic estate or trust (the term “domestic” indicates formed in the United States)

Q. Exactly what is an international country?

A. “Foreign country” consists of all geographical areas outside the United States, Puerto Rico, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the United States Virgin Islands.

Q. What makes up signature or other authority over an account?

A. An individual has trademark authority over an account if such person can control the personality of cash.

Q. When is the FBAR due?

A. The FBAR is due by June 30 of the year following. There is no extension of the due date. (IDEA: If you do not have all the offered details to submit the return by June 30, file and change later).

Q. How do you amend a formerly submitted FBAR?

A. Make the corrections, staple it to a copy of the initial FBAR, and connect a statement describing the corrections.

Q. Should I file FBAR with my earnings tax return?

A. No, the FBAR is a different report and needs to not be filed with your Federal tax return.

Q. Exactly what takes place if an account holder fails to file a needed FBAR report?

A. Failure to submit an FBAR may result in civil charges, criminal charges or both.

Q. Can advancing FBAR charges surpass the quantity in a taxpayer’s foreign account?

A. Yes, penalties can be assessed every year. Repeated charges can exceed exactly what is inside the bank accounts. Ouch!

FBAR UPDATE FOR 2014: EFILE online required starting 1/1/14 through the BSA E-Filing System website.

* * *

Sy Al-os Accountancy Corporation provides accounting and tax services to individuals, corporations, LLCs and business entities. The Firm has a specific niche in protecting taxpayers examined by the IRS and other governmental firms. The firm commemorates its 38th anniversary in 2015.

* * *

Victor Santos Sy finished Cum Laude from UE with a BBA and from Indiana State University with an MBA. Vic worked with SyCip, Gorres, Velayo (SGV Andersen Consulting) and Ernst amp; Young before developing Sy Accountancy Corporation in 704 Mira Monte Place, Pasadena, CA 91101. He has 50 years of experience in accounting, consulting, and tax work.

* * *

The Firm proudly invites Arlene Al-os in 2015. She got her bachelors of Science in Accountancy from Mindanao State University and MBA from Ateneo de Manila University. She teaches intermediate accounting at UCLA and was a professor of Economics at Asia Pacific College. She has over 15 years of experience consisting of member companies of KPMG and BDO Seidman accounting companies.

* * *

Our readers may call -LRB-626-RRB- 744-0200 or e-mail tax concerns to info@victorsycpa.com. Please visit our site for about 300 tax ideas at www.victorsycpa.com.

Comments closed

Today is Monday